Monday, 3 March 2014

Playing with Bohemian Bazaar...Part deux!!

Wow can't believe I waited sooo long to get stuck into this collection and now that I have, I can't seem to tear myself away.  I've admired it for so long, stroked the papers, flipped through both the 12x12 and the 8x8, although I must admit that I haven't opened the little extras like the tags and pockets and chipboard embellishments yet.  Saving those treats for now :D

I like interesting card bases and I'm a bit choosy about quality.  So these elegant step cards from craftwork cards fit the bill nicely.  Again I think the colours of this collection really 'pop' when set off against a good quality intense black.  I've used many cardstocks over the years and never been 100% happy with the blacks.  Not sure why, but it seems really difficult to get a good even black.  So I was over the moon to recently re-discover Papermill Direct.  (Used to buy from there shops instore many years ago)  Anyway, I ordered some black card as part of a 'pick & mix' of 4 colours, which btw were all super quality and colours.  The black really caught my eyes though, at last a proper black to play with and i think it sets off the bright colours perfectly.

For the first card I inked around all the edges of the 'step card', that's quite a lot of edges, so i double-checked to make sure. Also inked up the paper edges using 'Broken China' distress ink before matting & layering the panels onto my new found friend, the black card.  Attached the panels to the card base using a combination of double sided tape and cosmic shimmer glue.  

I die cut the sentiment panels and the black accent shapes and flourishes, again using the papermill cardstock, perfect through my Big Shot.

After assembling the panels and adding the card accents, I turned my attention to the finishing touches.  I knew the card needed something extra, something tactile and to add dimension.  So I took some vintage rose lace ribbon, that was a cream colour, and decided to sponge it with 'broken china' distress ink.  I tapped some ink onto a mat, added a little water and sponged the rose trim all over.  After it has dried a little I then added a touch more of the blue ink (neat this time not watered down) just applying it to the raised edges of the rose folds itself, to add a little more definition.

A couple of wired fabric leaves (from my stash) and some black liquid pearls add the finishing touches.



Blue Roses Step Card

And next up is another step card.  Again using the papermill black card to set off the beautiful colours of the G45 papers.

This time I used 'Spiced Marmalade' to ink all around the card base edges and also the edges of the patterned paper.

Using the same method as before, I dyed my cream coloured American seam binding by adding a little water to some of the ink tapped onto a mat and dragging the seam binding through it, making sure it was completely coloured before setting aside to dry.  I love American seam binding, but I can't seem to find it locally, and am almost out!!  So if anyone can recommend a store for me?  

Okay I assembled the card panels as before using a combination of double-sided tape and cosmic shimmer glue.  I die cut the sentiment panels and some flourishes from black card.

As before, I needed to add something to the design.  I settled on making some die cut roses, using a die that cuts them as spirals, then I inked the cut edges and rolled them up into rose shapes, gluing the bottom of each with cosmic shimmer glue to hold them together.  Now I would normally use a hot glue gun for my rolled roses, but I thought I'd experiment and try the cosmic shimmer glue, and besides I wasn't sure where I last put the glue gun.  Anyway the experiment worked and the roses stayed rolled up in position.  I added a tiny faux pearl to the inside centre of each.  

Now I needed something to help set off my trio of roses.  out came the Big Shot again and I diecut some more flourishes in black and also some trailing ivy leaves in green bazzil cardstock.  I inked the edges of the ivy leaves to dampen down their greenness and co-ordinate with the rest of the card.

I added a bow made with the dyed seam binding and some black liquid pearls to finish the card.

Rose Trio Step Card
 I'm finding it hard to choose my favourite from these two.  They are both standing on my craft table looking at me :D  P.S. I must apologise for the quality of the photos, I'm not a good camera-woman :D