Thursday 8 January 2015

Oh Baby it's 2015 - with Papermilldirect

So I spent the last days of 2014 and the first days of 2015 in a kind of cold / flu bug hell.  I was so tired and poorly I fell asleep before midnight and totally missed the heralding of a New Year.  Now I'm feeling much better and (fingers crossed) raring to go!!  So to kick off the new year we are celebrating new life over at +papermilldirect our theme is Babies!!  (Why not pop over and check out the Special Offers section, this week there is a rather yummy 'flecked lilac' 240gsm A4 card on offer at just £6 for a small box, along with some other goodies you may have missed)

There's also the launch of a Valentines section which also introduces some brand new Cardmaking Kits!!  

Now back to the theme of 'Babies' and I have seen a few of these block style cards over the years but have never actually got around to making one, so I put that right and here is my first one, it also ties in nicely with the 'Something New to You' Challenge Theme over at Country View Challenges.  I am using a brand new Die Set and also making a new to me style of card, what a great way to start the year.  (as always links and materials lists are at the end of the post).

The base card was created using White Hammered card and the sections were scored using my trusty Hougie board.  I inked around the card and each section using a pale pink distress ink.    Next came the fun part of decorating.  I used dies to cut small scalloped squares and some heart shapes from Baby Pink card & Raspberry Pink card and again inked around edges with pale pink ink, adding a faux stitch detail with a white Pergamano pen.  I used dies to cut alphabet letters to spell BABY from Raspberry Pink card and added them to the Baby Pink card squares.  Squares were then adhered to the blocks card using double sided tape, I used 3D foam to attach the layered heart to give some height.  
The baby girl image was stamped onto Smooth White card and coloured with promarkers, a little glitter glue was added to highlight the lace trim. Then the image was cut around and attached with 3D foam.  Pale pink faux gems & pearls were used to decorate the front squares. 
For the top panels I added 3 more of the Baby Pink scalloped squares and decorated with a button, heart, and a white bow.


I'm quite pleased with the way this first attempt turned out and also the fact that I could actually get 2 of these from 1 sheet of A4 card makes these quite economical to make, as you can decorate with whatever you have to hand. These little blocks cards (I sometimes see them described as Stairs too) can be used for all sorts of occasions and they fold flat to fit into envelopes too, making them ideal for postage.  (just be careful with height of embellishments)  Now I need to make a Baby Boy one or maybe a Twins one, or a Birthday one?  decisions, decisions  :D
 

Materials Used: 
White Hammered Card - Essentials Range - Papermill Direct

Raspberry Pink Card & Baby Pink Card - Colours Range - Papermill Direct
Spun Sugar Distress Ink - Tim Holtz
Baby Stamp (from Die & Stamp Set) Collectibles COL1313 - Marianne Design
Layered Hearts (from Die & Stamp Set) Collectibles COL1307 - Marianne Design
Alphabet Dies - Varsity FEDIE007 - First Edition
Square Dies - Lacy Squares Nestibilities S4-295 - Spellbinders 
Tuxedo Black Ink - Memento
Vanilla, Blush, Pastel Pink, Baby Pink, Blossom - Promarkers
White Pen - Pergamano
White Shimmer Detail Sparkle - Imagination Crafts 
Button, Enamel Dot Hearts,White Bow, & Faux gems - Trimcraft
Adhesives - Double Sided Tape, 3 Foam Pads
Tools - Hougie Board to score and Big Shot to cut dies.


Challenges Entered: 


'Use Something New to You' - Country View Challenges 
I'm using a brand new alphabet die set and a brand new to me style of card :)

Papermill Design Team:
if you have a moment, please do pop over and check out the other papermill teamies blogs and see what they got up to this week: 
Barbara  

Lisa  
Sylvia  
Sandie  
Sharon



2 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute - a perfect new baby gift! Thanks so much for playing along at Country View Challenges.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, thank you so much for popping by with a lovely comment for me :)

      Delete