Tuesday 22 May 2018

Toucan Cage and Stand - Trimcraft DT

Hello, Recently I've been working with some absolutely gorgeous papers called Botanical Beauty.  They are by First Edition and as always their papers are just gorgeous, not only in design but in the lovely selection of finishes and effects you always get in each pad.  The Botanical Beauty papers are absolutely stunning and I just knew I wanted to make a bird cage with them, afterwards I decided it just ‘needed something’ and so I made a stand to match!  (please scroll down for video)

How To:
I cut the bird cage itself on one of my cutting machines, but you could cut similar using die cut panels and join theme or use a sharp craft knife and ruler to cut basic grid bars if you prefer.

I’ve applied a citrus green metallic gilding polish to the cage bars and the matching stand, hopefully giving a hint of Verdigris. I used a gold metallic gilding polish for the top and bottom sections of the cage.
The 12x12 Botanical Beauty pad has birds and flowers In the right size for this make, so I fussy cut out 1 larger Toucan for the top of the cage and 2 smaller toucans on branches to go inside the cage.
The toucans inside have been mounted onto acetate, I created a box section rather than 2 strips as this gave more stability and still allows them to move about if touched.
The blooms have also been fussy cut from the pattern papers and I’ve used foliage dies from 2 different sets to arrange amongst the blooms, I used FE textured cardstock in 2 shades of green for the leafy foliage.

The stand I decided to make to go with the cage is basically 2 small shallow box pieces with a scored and folded section for the stem.  I added a top to the stand by layering up 3 or 4 squares of card sandwiched between pattern paper and applied the green gilding polish around the edges to fill in any gaps in the layers.  I have added cardboard inside the base and top to weight it down so the cage sits securely on top.
Here's a video to show the cage and stand in more detail

Products Used:
First Edition 12x12 Botanical Beauty Paper Pad – FEPAD185
First Edition 12x12 Textured Cardstock Pad – FEPAD062
First Edition Tropical Die Set – FEDIE235
First Edition Foliage Die Set – FEDIE0197
Acetate, Gold Tassel
Gold Gilding Polish, Green Gilding Polish
Adhesives: d/s Tape, Clear drying glue, 3D foam pads

This project has been created for Trimcraft Design Team and also appears in my Project Gallery on The Craft Blog here:

No comments:

Post a Comment