Tuesday 15 September 2015

On your (Book) Marks, get set, Blog!!


 Hello!!  I'm back in blogland after an extended break, lots of things going on here, summer holidays, daughter's 18th,  and poorly family members meant I didn't quite get around to blogging, however I am now pleased to be back and raring to go.  I have quite a few projects to blog about over the coming days and I do hope you will join me for those, but first I will start with this week's +papermilldirect  post. 



This week PMD Design Team have been working on the theme of Bookmarks and you will find lots of ideas over on the Inspire Blog and on the Teamies own blogs, we also have a new member Nicole joining us and we look forward to seeing more of her beautiful creations  (Blog links below).  

I have created a Fairy Tale themed bookmark using my Cricut Explore and images from within the subscription (mostly 3 birds on Parade for those who use the cartridge based machines).  I cut a simple book mark shape from papermilldirect White Hammed card to measure approx. 2 3/8" wide x 6" long  (you could of course make any size to suit the books).  I like using the hammered effect card as this adds texture and interest and creates a sturdy base to add elements to.


I chose the Fairy Tale sentiment layered image and the fairy bird with a crown and wand, using the onscreen mat to help me size them to fit onto the bookmark shape.  I also searched the images for star themed photo corners as these would fit the theme.  I made use of the star shaped 'waste' too by adding them around the bird. 
The decorative elements have been cut from various shades within the papermilldirect colours range.  All the PMD colours work really well together and cut perfectly on the Explore being 240gsm they are a great weight for layered images too,  I chose to use Daffodil Yellow, Raspberry Pink, New Lilac, Baby Pink, Purple Grape for this project.  Assembling the layers with Cosmic Shimmer clear drying glue helps to give a neat mess free finish and allows a little 'wriggle room' to help get things lined up, very important if you are doing a quick last minute make late at night as I was :D
Once the images were layered I added them to the front of the bookmark, again using Cosmic Shimmer glue.  I then added extra sparkle with White Shimmer Detail Sparkle glue and the stars have extra shimmer in the form of Glitter Jewels in Iced Snow which i sprinkle into the wet glitter glue before shaking off the excess and leaving to dry.


To finish, I made a hole in the top of the book mark and threaded through some silver ric-rac ribbon and sheer pink ribbon tied in a bow.  This made a pretty, feminine bookmark, you could make an alternative version featuring characters such as pirates, wizards or popular cartoon characters, these would be ideal to accompany a gift of a book too.  Although I have used my Explore to help with this project, bookmarks can easily be made by using any crafty stash you have to hand, card and paper scraps, dies, stamps, templates, maybe drawing your own designs, they are fun to make and you can theme them to match the style of books. 

Materials Used:
White hammered Card
Coloured card: Daffodil Yellow, Raspberry Pink, New Lilac, Baby Pink, Purple Grape
Cosmic Shimmer Clear drying Glue - Creative Expressions
White Shimmer Detail Sparkle - Imagination Crafts
Iced Snow Glitter Jewels - Creative Expressions
Silver Ric-Rac & Sheer Ribbon from stash

Papermill Design Team:
if you have a moment, please do pop over and check out the other papermill teamies blogs and see what they got up to this week: 

https://www.papermilldirect.co.uk/
Click Logo to go direct to papermill




No comments:

Post a Comment